Thursday, February 14, 2013

Exponent Rules Koosh!

Now that my students know product, power and quotient rule, I introduced them to the negative exponent rule today.  It went over really well.  I have them follow the exact rules above to simplify everything, then move any variable with a negative exponent to the denominator at the end of the problem.  Once I was confident that they had that concept down, it was game time!!  I made this Koosh Ball game about 4 years ago and play it every year.  The kids LOVE it.

I pulled two desks to the front and played girls vs. boys today.  They always enjoy that! 


I've had this Koosh ball for years. You can find them at most any store.



Then, just throw the ball at the Smart Board!  (Or whatever interactive whiteboard you have.)


When it hits the board, it will link to that problem.



The circles disappear after they have been hit, so there are no repeats.


The students have a worksheet to write the problems down and simplify them.



I only let them throw the ball if they write down and show all their work. 
That works like a charm because they all want to throw the ball. 
Lots of fun, and lots of math.  A win-win!

11 comments:

  1. I love this idea! Now I have to buy a Koosh ball!
    Darlene
    meatballsinthemiddle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Darlene! Koosh is always a crowd pleaser! My civics teacher friend across the hall uses my template for her students too. They beg for Koosh review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The game looks awesome Gina! I miss teaching math. It was so much fun. Great job with the blog :)
    Karen
    Mrs. Jones’s Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey! You did go ahead and start a blog! Hoorah. It looks great =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Gina! I'm your newest follower! I'm also a Mathematics teacher, just a middle school Math teacher.

    I LOVE the fact that you have an IWB and such awesome looking desks! Having a bright and engaging learning environment realy makes a difference!

    Liz - BaysideMathTeacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gina, I have to say this is a freakin' awesome idea! I love how you are getting interaction with your students and getting work samples from them as well! LOVE THIS! :)

    Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you! I have been playing these games since I got a Smart Board in February 2009... thrilled to finally have a way to share it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have done both this and the scavenger hunt activities, but I love them as well! I will be following your blog for other great ideas! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Gina! I'm Chrissie, and I teach Geometry and Algebra 2 in NC. I just found your blog tonight, and I am in love with this game! I have a Smart Board in my classroom, and I know that I don't use it anywhere close to its potential. How did you get the template for the koosh ball game?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Chrissie!

    I'm so excited to connect wth another fellow teacher, especially one so close to home! I teach Algebra I in Virginia Beach. I got a Smart Board about 4 years ago and love it. I am still learning new things and am constantly creating new activities. As far as the game template, I created it myself! They take FOREVER to create, but they kids absoutely adore them.
    I make them all in PowerPoint, it takes some playing around, but eventually you get the hang of it. I sell my game templates in my TpT store if you're interested in checking them out. Here are some links:

    Koosh Ball Game Template:
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Koosh-Ball-Game-Template-For-ALL-ages-and-subjects

    Gone Fishin' Koosh Ball Game Template: http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Gone-Fishin-Koosh-Ball-Game-Template-For-ALL-ages-and-subjects

    Spin to Win Game Template:
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Spin-to-Win-Game-Template-For-ALL-ages-and-subjects

    ReplyDelete