Monday, February 11, 2013

My First!

Horray for my first blog post!  I'm so excited to enter the blogging world and be able to share and connect with fellow teachers.  My plan is to write and reflect about lessons, ideas, and strategies that I use within my classroom. For my first post though, I thought I would introduce myself!

I am orginally from Orchard Park, NY, which just outside of Buffalo.  I grew up a HUGE Buffalo Bills fan, and I am proud to still be one today.  I went to Brockport State University (near Rochester, NY) and graduated in 2006 with a degree in Mathematics, Education, and Computer Science.  My college boyfriend moved to Virginia Beach, so I followed him down here as soon as I graduated.  We got married in August 2007, and now have two boys- Jacob (age 3) and Logan (age 1).

I have taught Algebra, Honors Algebra, and Pre-Algebra for the past seven years at Great Neck Middle School.  I absolutely love it!  We were lucky enough to move into a brand new school last January.  Here is a picture of my classroom:


We can't hang anything on the walls while the building is under warranty, so it looks a little plain.  Actually, the weekend we moved into our new building happened to be one week before my son was born.  So I really didn't do much with decorating at that time.  It is a bit more snazzed up now though!  Those desks are SO GREAT- I can group them into 2's, 3's, and 4's so easily.  I love the triangles!

That's all for now! 

6 comments:

  1. Looks great! Welcome to the blogging world!!

    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those desks are amazing? It looks like they take up a lot of room. How many desks/bodies can you comfortably get in your room?

    BTW, I copied this from Adventures In Teaching's response on your forum post: If you want to turn off word verification, click on your blog's name, go to settings on the lower left, then click on posts and comments. There, you will see an option to turn off word verification.

    You'll get a lot more responses if people don't have to take an eye test to comment. :) Your blog looks great! Pam

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, the first sentence wasn't supposed to have a ?... Only bad part about a blog comment is it's impossible to edit after we publish, which is when I catch my mistakes! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Pam! Thank you so much for copying the directions on how to turn the word verification off. I think I did it right.

    The desks can take up a lot of room when they are in rows like I have them. I can sit 30 just fine (15 on each side). When they are grouped into 3's and 4's they take up much less space. I have them in rows while I'm introducing new topics, then the kids pick them up and put them together for the activities. I found this works MUCH better.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gina - I feel like I've found my long-lost twin after stumbling upon some of your stuff on TPT and then viewing your Facebook page and blog. I, too, graduated from college in 2006 and married my college sweetheart in 2007. We live in southwest VA, but my hubby was born in NY and is a huge Bills fan ... and we have a 15 month old boy :) I didn't start teaching until 2007-2008 because I got my MAEd first, but I have been teaching for 6 years and am a perfectionist when it comes to making materials to use in my classes :) I taught IB courses at the high school for my first 5 years of teaching, but I decided to switch to teaching Algebra I Part 1 and Algebra I Part 2 to 8th graders at the middle school this year, in hopes that it would be less stressful. I am making TONS of my own materials because I think the kids just "get it" better when the materials are made by the same person who assesses their progress ... not to mention that textbooks just haven't caught up with the new SOLs yet. I've made lots of checklists and SOL-style questions if you ever want to collaborate on a certain topic! I hope to add in more games/activities next year once I've gotten a year of planning under my belt. I'm sure I'll be visiting your blog again then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Alisa!

    This is all too funny...we are long lost twins! Email me at allthingsalgebra@gmail.com, I have lots of SOL resources that I can share with you :)

    ReplyDelete