Monday, July 22, 2013

Translating Walk-About Activity

Now that it's halfway through summer, I've started looking back at my September files to see if I could tweak anything for next year.   I came across this walk-about activity I do with my students to practice translating and just had to share it! I know many of you also teach this topic during your first unit.

There are 9 expressions/equations/inequalities that you post around the room.  These are the ones that I use:

n – 11
2n + 6
n/-3 + 7
-5n –  1
3(n + 7) = 2
n/2 – 6 = 8
9n + 1 = n –  4
n ≥  18
n 65

It's ideal if you have a lot of whiteboard space because students will be writing below them. If not, just place a big sheet of poster paper below them.   Divide the students into teams of 3-4 and give each team a different color marker (this way you can see what each team wrote) So let's say a group starts at this one:

 

They have to translate it into words.  So they may write something like  "A number minus 11".  Then, I have them rotate, and the next group has to read what's there and translate it a different way.  After a few rounds, this is what it may look like:

 
 
It gets more and more difficult as they travel from card to card because they have to read what everyone has written before them, and come up with a new way of writing.

Here's another example using an inequality card:


 
1) "A number is less than or equal to 65"
2) "A number is no more than 65"
3) "A number is at maximum 65"
4) "A number is at most 65"
5) "A number can not exceed 65"
6) "The speed limit on the highway is 65 mph"

After the students have completed all 9 rounds, they sit down in their seats and I read off what's written below each card. We decide if we agree or disagree with what's there and make changes if necessary.

Here is what the full set looks like:



If you are interested in this walk-about activity and want
to use my cards,
you can download them here for free!!
 
I wish everyone going back to school at the beginning of August a smooth transition.  I will be joining you in early September!
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Gina! I work with ELL's, so this will be a great activity to do at the beginning of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing these blogs.Do you need college algebra solver?if yes,then you can get the solution for college level algebra problems from my algebra help .

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great activity. My students are mostly ESL. I told them that today, I was teaching them a new language, Algebra. Then I gave them translating words in their interactive notebook. Then I had them do this gallery walk and translate in groups. They did amazingly well. Then we translated from English into Algebra. I will use this technique again. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great activity. My students are mostly ESL. I told them that today, I was teaching them a new language, Algebra. Then I gave them translating words in their interactive notebook. Then I had them do this gallery walk and translate in groups. They did amazingly well. Then we translated from English into Algebra. I will use this technique again. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete