Friday, March 1, 2013

Gone Fishin' with Polynomials!

Today, my students were taking a quiz on polynomials (including classifying and all operations). After we did a scavenger hunt to practice the skills, we played my favorite review game ever, "Gone Fishin". It's the perfect game when you are trying to review many concepts, because I organize them by color. Red fish are classifying polynomials, yellow fish are adding and subtracting polynomials, green fish are multiplying polynomials (FOIL), and blue fish are dividing polynomials by a monomial. The fish really swim around the screen, and students use a Koosh ball to aim for them.

Here are some pictures, and a short video that shows the game:


video
 


 





I gave them a worksheet that was also organized by color/type of problem. 
We did five of each problem to make sure they understood everything. 
Here is what one of my student's papers looked like when she was done:






We took the quiz after we finished.  I'm happy to say that they "got it" :)

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I have a son in sixth that is taking pre-algebra next year (his middle school requires all students to do that, even tho he's in collab. classes). Wish he had you for a teacher with all the fun things you do - he'd actually like math! :)

    Found your blog via the Virginia linkup from "Fifth in the Middle." I'm your newest follower! I might be needing your help next year getting him thru math! ;)

    Chrissy
    Adventures in Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina!
    I am so excited to be your newest follower! I teach sixth (all subjects), but I know my students would be thrilled if I learned some new skills and strategies for teaching math from you...

    Kim
    Finding JOY in 6th Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I just found your blog through TpT newsletter - I'm so glad I found it! My son will be tackling these problems next year, you have so many great ideas! I'm your newest follower!

    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Susan! I see you post in the forums on TpT so I recognize your picture! Thank you for following my blog and best wishes to your son in Algebra!

      Delete
  4. Hi! Just found your blog through 4mula Fun... You have such cool ideas incorporated in your class. I was wondering if you could tell me where to get this Gone Fishin game?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I created the Gone Fishin' game myself! I you are interested, I do sell it in my TpT store. The link is below:

      http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Gone-Fishin-with-Polynomials-Game-427579

      Thank you!

      Delete