Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Math is Real Life! Just ask my husband!

When are we EVER going to use THIS?!”  This statement… this one little statement has caused fear and panic to run through MANY a math teacher’s veins!  It’s not like you won’t use math in the real world… but sometimes as soon as that question is uttered we have a mind-melting-moment and cannot come up with just the right words to say.  Many times, I have thought of something perfect to respond with, but hours after the class has left the room.
So to help give you some real world, possibly out of the box thinking type ideas, I am thrilled to join this amazing link-up hosted by Miss Math Dork, 4mulafun, Fourth Grade Studio, and Teaching to Inspire in 5th!
 
 
We (I mean my husband) is currently building a new shed in our backyard.  I turned to him for this post because I knew he has used math extensively in this process.  We are on a beach vacation right now, so his reply was fairly short, but thankfully I have pictures to share!
 
He told me that the process required a lot of measurement.  He needed to determine how much material he needed, making sure he stayed within the 200-foot city square footage requirement, using the Pythagorean Theorem to ensure perfect right angles, and measuring and cutting accurately to ensure minimal waste.  Here are pictures he sent to me to update me of the shed status:
 
 





 
Almost done!  He just needs to finish up with trim and paint.

 
I'm sure he's thrilled that I included this one of him! :)
 
 

4 comments:

  1. I love it Gina! So loving that someone is using Pythagorean Theorem outside in the real world. Can't wait to see it once it's painted!

    Jennifer Smith-Sloane
    4mulaFun

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great example--especially that idea of having to design something within certain specifications! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gina! I am so glad that you linked up with us! What a fabulous shed your hubs made!! Love that you pointed out that he wanted to make the shed with the least amount left over. I think kiddos often don't think about how surface area is theoretically the smallest amount of material they will use, but how in all honesty, we very rarely use the bare minimum. I hope you enjoyed the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great example http://www.afu.ac.ae/en/sru/duties-and-responsibilities/

    ReplyDelete